Commarch Report

26 Mar 2019

For our commarch assignment, my team analyzed the Krita project. Krita is an open source digital painting application made by the KDE foundation. With origins traced back to 1998, Krita has been in development for a long time, with it’s focus changing through development as well.

Krita as a project is overall pretty strong, with a great community supporting the project. Two people make up the main contributers to the project, with about 60% of the contribution, and the other 40% being pretty evenly distributed amoung other contributers. The process for submitting patches is describe in KDEs development documentation, along with Kritas Get Involved. The process seems pretty simple, requiring you to submit patches to be reviewed for at least the first three commits. Afterwards, you are given developer status and can submit patches directly to the main repository.

Krita seems like a pretty stable project, according to Callaway’s coefficient of fail, losing a few points for being too large and for not directly using GNU make. As an image editing application, it’s hard for Krita to be compressed to such a small size, so it makes sense for it to be vary large, and I’d argue that it’s okay for this project. As for not using GNU make, Krita uses CMake instead of GNU make, which I’d say makes more sense for a large project like Krita. Of course, you could argue that CMake still counts as GNU make, as it just automates the process of creating make files.

Overall, Krita is a healthy project that I think will definitely be around for a long time. With how open it is and how many people are contributing, it is pretty clear that the project is triving. The project even generates revenue, having a professional version that is sold on digital marketplaces such as steam.

Here is a link to the full analysis of Krita.